2022 has been a memorable year for Dulas in many ways, not least because it marked the 40th anniversary since the company was formed in 1982. In those early years, the climate change storm clouds that lay ahead of humanity were not widely known about or understood. Nonetheless, at that time, Dulas successfully established itself as a pioneer in renewable energy technologies that are now the cornerstone of the world’s strategy to eliminate carbon-based energy sources from being used.
With 40 years of significant contributions to the field of zero carbon energy under our belt, we decided that it was time to ensure our own ‘house’ was formally aligned with global goals to achieve net zero across operations. For that reason, in September last year Dulas joined the United Nations Race to Zero campaign and pledged to start the journey to becoming net zero. Joining the scheme means making the following commitments:
- Halving our greenhouse gas emissions before 2030
- Achieve net zero emissions before 2050
- Disclose our progress on a yearly basis
In the spirit of openness and cooperation along this journey we will share our findings and future plans. And we are certainly open to helping, exchanging ideas with or learning from others making the same journey.
We have always considered it a core mission to limit our effect on the planet at Dulas however, since making the pledge to Net Zero, there has been a concerted, company-wide effort to reduce emissions where possible, with progress being made in the following areas:
- Developing a pathway to reduce dependency on the company vehicle fleet of diesel vehicles and replacing with EV pool cars where practical
- Implementing an EV charging point at our HQ and hosting a local community EV vehicle
- Ensuring we are using green tariffs
- Bringing back into service our onsite wind turbine for green energy generation
- Reducing company mileage and transportation by air.